Disconnect and Deposit Policy
RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMER DEPOSITS
- Applicants desiring electric service may be required to pay a Customer Deposit. However, the Customer Deposit will be waived under the following circumstances:
- An online credit check indicates the applicant’s credit history is good.
- The applicant can provide proof of acceptable credit history with their previous electric utility. Acceptable credit from a previous electric utility includes all the following:
- The applicant must have received service for at least one year.
- Their current bill must be paid in full.
- No more than two delinquent payments were made in the past twelve months.
- If service has been discontinued, final bill must be paid in full.
- There were no returned checks in past twelve months.
- The applicant chooses to participate in the Prepaid Program, in accordance with the general provisions shown on the Prepaid Service Agreement, including the following specific provisions:
- If no outstanding balances are present when enrolling in the Prepaid Program and all other fees have been paid, a $10.00 prepayment is the least amount required to commence service.
- As a result of participation in the Prepaid Program, the member will not be mailed a monthly statement for electric usage or other applicable fees or charges.
- Service will be subject to disconnection without written notice once the balance of the account reaches $0.00.
- On an existing account that has been disconnected for nonpayment, 50% of all payments made on the account shall be applied toward any outstanding balance on the account until all unpaid balances are paid in full, with a minimum initial payment of $100.00 being required.
- If a Customer Deposit is required and the service location has received electric service in the past, then the amount of deposit at that location will be:
- Two times the highest electric bill in the past twelve months, rounded up to the next whole dollar. If a complete billing history is not available for the last 12 months, the deposit will be two times the highest electric bill in the last 24-months, rounded up to the next whole dollar.
- The minimum deposit required will be $250.00. If the Applicant requests electric service at more than one location and cannot provide acceptable credit history, a Customer Deposit will be required for each location based upon the above requirements.
- The Customer Deposit will be refunded or credited to the member’s electric bill account upon establishment of twelve months of acceptable payment history. To establish an acceptable payment history a consumer can have no more than two delinquent payments for electric service and no returned checks in a 12-month period.
- Upon termination of service, any retained deposit will be applied against the unpaid bills of the consumer and if any balance remains after the deposit is applied, then the balance shall be refunded to consumer.