History of Sac Osage Electric Cooperative
Sac Osage Electric Cooperative has a long, rich history in Cedar County and the nine adjoining counties where it provides electric service to mostly rural consumers. We have been serving our member consumers in Cedar, St. Clair, Benton, Barton, Dade, Polk, Hickory, Henry and Vernon counties for over 65 years.
The original members and incorporators held their first meeting on July 25, 1940, at the Court House in Stockton, Missouri. They adopted bylaws, reviewed the Articles of Incorporation and elected a nine-member board of directors which also held its first meeting on that date. The original directors were: John Harrison, Albert C. Venter, Hurshal Esry, Kenneth Tough, Henry Cowan, R. B. Morrison, C.P. Longacre, C.C. Austin and Lewis Morgan.
Moved to El Dorado Springs
In September 1941 the Board of Directors voted to vacate the office in Stockton and move to El Dorado Springs. The Board began meeting there in 1942. The office was located in downtown El Dorado Springs until 1954 when it was moved to a new facility located at 1113 South Main. Over the years, that location became too small to handle the entire operation and two additional sites were added – the pole yard located at the corner of Pine and Cedar Streets where poles and transformers were stored and the truck lot located at Jackson and Twyman Streets where trucks and equipment were parked
In 2002 the Board of Directors made the decision to combine all three locations by constructing a new facility on a fifty-acre parcel of land located approximately two miles east of El Dorado Springs on U.S. Highway 54. The result is a lovely new facility that includes more than 8,000 square feet of office space and more than 41,000 square feet of warehouse and fleet parking. A large Community Room with kitchen facilities is available for use by the public.
Sac Osage Electric Cooperative currently provides electric service to approximately 8,500 members on a system that includes more than 2,300 miles of line and 10,000 meters. The Cooperative employs 38 full-time employees.